Saturday, January 9, 2010

Coffee...and Donuts

My day always starts with unrelenting comic relief from my noodle-headed husband and millions of puppy-dog kisses. Well, this morning was no different.

It began with a shout from the shower, "Start the car!" follwed by an explosion of laughter, "So you can take me to work." Now, there is really nothing funny about this comment. Nothing at all, unless you know us. We find great pleasure in sending each other out in the cold to start the car.

I could hear the Noodle-King talking smack, as I walked to the bedroom to get my boots. And so it starts...

I backed slowly out of the driveway to the continuous side-seat chuckles, which stopped abruptly when I said, "I'm stopping for coffee."

"Oh no you are not!" he told me sharply, "I thought we agreed that you were going to lay off the coffee?"

Honestly, I burst out into laughter. He agreed, not me! My husband gave up smoking again this New Year's, so naturally, I am expected to give up something too.

We had a morning discussion about frivolous spending and how much my coffee costs, which I completely agree with, but that is beside the point. And just when I was about to concede, he said, "Stop at Donut King."

Now as you know, I am gluten-free; however, my husband is not. I did not willing choose to become gluten-free, like some other health conscientious individuals. I have little choice in the matter. I must remain abstinent from any and all gluten products because I have a Celiac Disease, which is basically a severe gluten intolerance.

If you want to see someone go from perfectly happy to livid in 0.3 seconds, bring up donuts to a 33 year old woman who found out she had Celiac Disease only 3 years ago and all she wants is coffee. Not a funny situation.

I stopped and let my noodle-headed man get his precious donut, but as he climbed back in the passenger's seat, I loudly retorted, "I AM getting my coffee on the way home!"

He smiled at me with his usual sly grin. This is his way of saying you win...for now!

As I sat in the line at the coffee shop drive-thru, I thought to myself, "Haven't I already given up enough?" I can't eat whereever, whenever, or whatever I want.

Okay, that is just great...thank you so much for the donut craving this morning, honey. I guess it is back to the kitchen I go.

I hope you like this recipe. It is delicious with coffee!!!

Donuts

2 c. gluten-free flour (Personally, I mix 2 c. rice flour, 1/4 c. soy flour, and 1/4 c. of potato flour to get a gluten-free mixture that has a better consistency when baking)
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 c. almond milk or rice milk
2 eggs
4 tbsp. butter melted

Combine flour, xanthum gum, baking powder, salt with a fork. Mix milk, eggs, and butter in a seperate bowl. Stir in milk/egg mixture into flour. Pour wanted amount of batter into hot oil. Takes about 3 minutes per donut.

Use this recipe for funnel-cakes OR pour batter onto waffel iron , top with fruit, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment